Boys Hockey Season

Photo courtesy of Zenith Editor in Chief, Mary Catherine Cain

Coming from a 16 win to 10 loss season, and losing 6-5 in the Baron Cup last year, the Chagrin Falls Hockey team is ready to take on a new season. The Tigers have their first scrimmage this Friday against Orange High School. The scrimmage will take place at the Pond at 9:00 p.m. 

With the start of the season many players are excited for this year. This year the Tigers lost 6 seniors from last season. Therefore this year they will be put to the test. 

Senior Henry Westendorf has been a part of the hockey team since he was a freshman. With being one of the top scores of the team, Westendorf will need to lead the way through a successful season. 

“We lost some pretty good players this year, but that won’t stop us from trying to have a great season,” stated Westendorf. 

Senior Eliott Despres is another scoring leader for the Tigers. With help from Westendorf the Tigers can make an effort for the Baron cup for the second year in a row. 

“We have some very talented guys on this team and I think we can make a solid run to win the Baron cup,” said Despres. 

With the Tigers having limited numbers on the team, Senior Kian Hains talks about what it was like playing hockey for the first time last year. 

“The main reason I played hockey was because my friends told me to,” said Hains, “It was tough to get skating and stick skills down but I eventually got the hang of it.” 

It wouldn’t be a classic Chagrin sports season if they didn’t play Kenston. Mark your dates for January 8, at 5:20 because the Tigers are playing the Bombers.

Chagrin Alumni Tommy Conway talks about his experience playing Kenston while on the team, and how much he loved competing with them every time they stepped on the ice.

“When we played Kenston I remembered how competitive it was,” stated Conway, “There was great energy from the players and students in the student section.” 

The Bombers are coming off a 12 win, 11 loss season; Therefore, it should be a good competitive game against the Tigers. 

Westendorf has had experience playing the Bombers in other sports. Westendorf played the Bombers in lacross, and he helped the team defeat them. 

“It felt nice to beat them in lacrosse, but in hockey they beat us last year so I’m fired up to play them this year.” said Westendorf. 

The Tigers lost to the Bombers last year. The stands were packed and the students were shoulder to shoulder in the student section. The final score was 3-6 after a hard fought game for the Tigers; Therefore, this year Westendorf and the team are ready to battle with the Bombers on the ice.