PS5 Vs. Xbox Series X, both are great but which is better?

The Playstation 5 (PS5) and Xbox Series X, found on online stores, are both stunning next-gen consoles with many great features and exclusives.

Both consoles have their own distinct features that would make people want the one that has the best or most important features overall in their opinion or both.

Luke Nelson, a freshman at Chagrin Falls High School who really likes the PS5 said, “I like the PS5 better than the Xbox Series X because it has more game exclusives, it has a sleeker design, it runs faster, it has built in fans that were put into the console in a more revolutionary way, and they revolutionized the controllers in ways people haven’t thought of before by making them more durable, giving them better grips, adding a temperature change feature, and adding a push to talk mic built into the controller. The PS5 also has a better game pass because it comes out with free games every month for people who have the subscription.”

To paraphrase, the PS5 has many great features that can’t be found on the Xbox Series X, sometimes dependent on opinion, like a better design to some people, a better game pass to some people, new next gen controllers, and hardware like built in fans that were put into the console in a revolutionary way.

Many people like the distinct features of the PS5 more than the Xbox Series X, however, many other people like distinct features of the Xbox Series X more. There are logical, understandable reasons as to why people would like the features on either console and it’s all about what features are most important to the specific buyers. Some people might like certain features on the Xbox Series X that are completely dependent on opinion, like design, controller comfortability, opinion towards game exclusives, opinion towards different features offered by the different console’s game passes, etc. For example, Nelson really likes the PS5 and it’s distinct features for logical reasons like the game pass, controllers, certain hardware, and design. However, Will Denkins, another Chagrin Falls High School Freshman, likes the Xbox Series X and it’s distinct features more because of other reasons that are also logical and understandable, like controller design and personal preference.

“I like the Xbox Series X more because I’m more used to Xbox’s, they are the consoles I’ve always had. I originally got the Xbox One because that’s the console that most of my other friends had. I also like the Xbox Controller because it’s more comfortable and has a better button layout, plus that’s what I’m used to from buying the controllers from the Xbox consoles in the past,” said Denkins.

The Xbox Series X also has features that can not be found on the PS5, some that are specific to the person who is buying them. For example, Denkins likes the Xbox Series X for his own specific reasons like how that’s the console he’s always had because it’s what most of his other friends had, and because of a more comfortable controller that he is more used to.

One of the greatest and most important features of a console are it’s game exclusives. Both consoles have great game exclusives that make it hard to choose between the PS5 and Xbox Series X, if you’re only taking game exclusives into consideration. If you are just taking game exclusives into consideration, then the PS5 is the way to go, however, when comparing game passes the Xbox Series X comes out on top, although some may disagree. Both consoles have their own subscription that allows you to obtain free games. With Playstation, it’s the PS Plus Collection, which allows you to download 19 classic games from the PS4, and games that they temporarily release for free for the month (if you have the subscription). With the Xbox Series X, it’s the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and although they don’t release free games every month, they make up for it by giving you hundreds of great, free games right off the bat. Some people may like the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate better because it has hundreds of free games right off the bat, however, others may like how the PS Plus Collection releases free games every month.

According to Marshall Honorof of Tom’s Guide, “At present, it’s hard to deny that the PS5 has the more exciting game selection. Just in terms of first-party titles, the PS5 launched with Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Demon’s Souls, Sackboy: A Big Adventure and the surprisingly delightful Astro’s Playroom.” 

Also, “Compare and contrast with the Xbox Series X, which didn’t have any exclusive titles at launch. Instead, Microsoft released a list of 30 ‘optimized for Xbox Series X/S’ titles, including fan favorites like Gears 5, Ori and the Will of the Wisps and Forza Horizon 4. While the Xbox Series X optimizations are indeed impressive, not all of these games are brand new, and they’re all available on Xbox One, PC or both.”

Not only that, but, “It’s also worth mentioning Xbox Game Pass Ultimate, to which Sony doesn’t currently have a perfect answer. This $15-per-month subscription service lets you download more than 100 games across a variety of genres, and play them on Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Xbox One, PC and even Android. Sony recently introduced the ‘PS Plus Collection,’ which lets PlayStation Plus subscribers download a few dozen PS4 classics. It’s not nearly as sweeping or comprehensive as Xbox Game Pass, though, so Sony could still expand these offerings much further.”

To sum up, although the PS5 ultimately has more and better game exclusives, the Xbox Series X has a better game pass subscription than the game pass subscription on the PS5.

Both consoles also have excellent hardware, however, the Xbox Series X ultimately has the better hardware. Both consoles have the same CPU, RAM, Resolution, Frame Rate, and Optical Disc Drive, however, the Xbox Series X has a better GPU, by 1.7 teraflops. The PS5 has a GPU of 10.3 teraflops AMD RDNA 2, while the Xbox Series X has a GPU of 12.0 teraflops AMD RDNA 2. Not only that, but the Xbox Series X comes with more storage built in. The PS5 has 825 GB of storage, while the Xbox Series X has 1 full TB of storage (1000 GB’s).

According to Marshall Honorof of Tom’s Guide, “we can say that the Xbox Series X has more powerful hardware, in terms of both GPU and SSD.”

To sum up, although the two consoles truly have next gen hardware, the Xbox Series X comes out on top because of it’s better GPU and storage amount.

When it comes to price, the most expensive versions of each console are the same price, $500. However, there are other, cheaper options offered for each console. With the PS5, you can either choose to get the $500 standard disc version, or the $400 digital, no disc drive version. With the Xbox Series X, you can either choose to get the $500 standard Xbox Series X, or the $300 Xbox Series S. If you’re looking to get the best version of each console, then the two are tied for price, but, if you are looking for the cheapest version of each console, then the Xbox Series X comes out on top.

According to Gerald Lynch, Henry St Leger, Vic Hood, and Adam Vjestica of Tech Radar, “Neither has made that mistake with their new consoles making the top-tier versions identically matched. It’s the digital-only versions then where the real differences become visible. The digital-only Xbox Series S lands at $299 / £249 / AU$499 while the PlayStation 5 Digital Edition (without disc drive) comes in at $399.99 / £359.99 / AU$599.95.”

The Xbox Series X and PS5 both offer cheaper versions of their console, however, the Xbox Series X offers the cheapest option for its second version.

The PS5 and Xbox Series X both have their own small features along with their bigger features. For example, the Xbox Series X has a feature called Quick Resume that allows you to have multiple games running at a time. If you want to stop playing one game and go into another game, then later go back into that first game you were playing without having to load the game again, that is now possible with this all new feature. One of the small features on the PS5 is that it’s SSD runs faster than the SSD on the Xbox Series X.

According to Marshall Honorof of Tom’s Guide, “the PS5 has some virtues that the Xbox Series X does not. There’s a full-featured digital console, a more inventive controller, a faster SSD and — this is not to be understated — a better selection of exclusive games.”

Not only that, but according to Gerald Lynch, Henry St Leger, Vic Hood, and Adam Vjestica of Tech Radar, “Microsoft’s new Xbox also has a feature called Quick Resume. It lets you suspend multiple games at a time, so you can start playing something else and then pick up where you left off in a previous title in a matter of seconds. It’s super useful.”

To sum up, the PS5 and Xbox Series X both have their own small features that are unique to themselves, like Quick Resume on the Xbox and a faster SSD on the Playstation.

Although the Xbox Series X still has it’s classic controller, the PS5 has truly stepped it up this year with the new DualSense Controller, shaped more similarly to the Xbox controller. A lot of people are amazed at the features that have been added to the new Playstation controller, however, other people feel fatigued after a while of playing with those features and prefer the classic Xbox controller. To be fair though, you are able to turn off the new features of the Playstation Dual Sense controller if you get tired of them and ultimately, the Playstation controller has improved with a more comfortable design, shaped more similarly to the Xbox controller. If you are one of those people who would not want to turn off the new features, then you will be delighted once you start playing with the controller and it’s new haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. If you think you would like the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers, then you will truly love Astro’s Playroom, a free PS5 game that completely utilizes those new features.

According to Marshall Honorof of Tom’s Guide, “It also adds a variety of new features: extremely sensitive haptics and a built-in mic among them. The haptic feedback is impressive, mimicking the feel of objects rolling around in a box, or putting up realistic resistance when you push a trigger. However, the DualSense still has a ton of wasted space (particularly in the touchpad), and the haptics have the potential to take you out of the game as much as they immerse you in it.”

The PS5’s new DualSense controller has new features that can either be seen as good or bad, depending on personal preference. Some people believe that there’s too much negative space now on the controller, leading to uncomfortability and fatigue after a while. However, some other people may believe that Playstation has improved upon their controller by increasing the size and adding new haptic feedback and adaptive triggers that truly immerse you into the game that you’re playing. Although, others may find the new haptic feedback and adaptive triggers to be annoying when they’re playing certain games like Fortnite or Call of Duty, where you need to be able to quickly shoot before you get shot, and where those new features might be distracting and more difficult for those people to play with. However, if you are one of those people who do not like the new haptic feedback and adaptive trigger features, then you can go to the settings section on the PS5 to turn them off.

To conclude, the PS5 and Xbox Series X both have distinct features and exclusives about them, big and small; both new to this generation of gaming, and the best of the other, older generations. These features are important, game changing features that can’t be found on the other console, and that truly live up to this all new generation of gaming. However, the decision of which console is better is ultimately up to you, as it’s all a matter of opinion as to what features you like the most and are the most important to you in a console.

According to Gerald Lynch, Henry St Leger, Vic Hood, and Adam Vjestica of Tech Radar, “From exclusive games like Demon’s Souls on PS5 to enticing new quality of life features like Quick Resume and FPS Boost on Xbox Series X, both Sony and Microsoft are pulling out all the stops to win the hearts and minds of gamers.”