Freshmen Reach to Donuts with Link Crew

Freshmen Reach to Donuts with Link Crew

On Tuesday, October 22, all freshmen attended Donuts with Link Crew in the commons, hosted by junior and senior Link Crew leaders and Link Crew supervisors assistant principal Ms. Amanda Rassi, teacher Mr. John Scott, and counselor Mr. Mark Iammarino. 

Ms. Rassi purchased over one hundred donuts from Raised and Glazed, an upgrade from the Dunkin’ Donuts supply from previous years. Freshmen had the chance to eat donuts while reconnecting with their Link Crew leaders and peer group.

Freshman Elana McGinnis attended the event and thinks Link Crew has benefited her so far in high school.

“Link Crew leaders have made it easy for us to fit in and have helped us to not be nervous for our first year,” said McGinnis.

The goal of Link Crew is to help transition freshmen into high school and form relationships across grades. Donuts with Link Crew is the first large event held by Link Crew after orientation, so it is meant for leaders to check in with their freshmen.

Senior Link Crew leader Molly Barr had a positive experience with her group, who she feels she has already formed relationships with.

“We can connect well with our freshmen at these events because we are able to ask them personal questions to get to know them better and spend quality time together as a group,” said Barr.

Groups had time to talk about their first quarter in high school and address any difficulties as well as successes. Leaders also informed freshmen about upcoming events throughout the school and gave advice regarding classes and teachers.

Outside of events, Link Crew acts as a helpful resource for many freshmen.

“They are helpful when I need something and it’s good to know I have someone that will answer questions if I have any,” said freshman Oakleigh Neithammer. 

The Link Crew experience not only affects the freshmen but the leaders as well. Leaders enjoy being able to act as a role model for younger students, having the opportunity to meet new people, and learn leadership skills. 

“Being a Link Crew leader has definitely made me more outgoing towards underclassmen. I have also developed more leadership skills that will help me throughout my whole life,” Barr said. 

The energy of the leaders also encourages freshmen to become leaders when they are upperclassmen. McGinnis and Neithammer both reported that they want to become leaders when they can.

The next large Link Crew event will take place towards the end of the semester. At Cocoa and Cram, leaders will help freshmen prepare for their midterms and enjoy hot chocolate while doing so.