Senior Alexis Christie Awarded October Rotary Student of the Month

In the first week of October, CFHS senior Alexis Christie was awarded the October Rotary Student of the Month award, a prestigious award for CFHS seniors in which one senior a month is selected by the Chagrin Falls Rotary Club to receive the award.

Students are typically picked for the award based on teacher recommendations, as well as coursework, GPA, and extracurriculars. Christie is the second student of the 2019-2020 school year to receive the award, following CFHS senior Cameron Owen, the September student of the month.

“I was very surprised, because I know it’s a pretty selective thing,” Christie stated. “Only nine people win it every year.”

Recipients of the award are celebrated by Ms. Asher and Mr. Hunt, as well as at a commemorative Rotary Club meeting, in which the student’s families are asked to attend

“My family was super excited!” Christie stated. “We went out to dinner the weekend after we found out. They were really proud.”

Senior students will continue to receive the award for every month of the school year, concluding with the month of May. 

Though recipients of the award are not informed of which teachers recommended them for the award, Christie hopes her teachers know how thankful she is to have received their recommendation for the award.

“I was very honored, since it is a teacher recommended thing,” Christie stated. “I’m so grateful they considered me for it.”

Some of Christie’s accolades as a CFHS student include receiving the Smith College Book Award, the Chagrin Difference Maker Award in both 2015 and 2017, the Science Student of the Year Award in 2016, and the Spirit of Chagrin Award in 2017. In addition, she was recently recognized as a National Merit Commended Scholar.

In the classroom, Christie has excelled in a number of accelerated classes, including AP English Language and Literature, AP Calculus AB and BC, AP Spanish Language and Composition, AP United States Government, and AP Biology.

Christie is the vice president of the Interact Club, and participates on the CFHS Women’s Varsity Basketball and Varsity Softball teams. She is also a senior editor for the CFHS newspaper, The Tiger Times.

Outside of the classroom, Christie regularly volunteers at the annual Chagrin Falls Documentary Film Festival, including organizing film information and running their social media accounts. She also assisted in designing merchandise for the festival.

In addition to recognition at a Rotary Club meeting, recipients of the award also have their names posted on the welcome board outside the entrance to the 7-12 campus. They also have their picture posted in the display case at the entrance to the high school, alongside a list of their achievements.

Christie is excited to see who else from her class will receive the award in the upcoming months. 

“It’s such a fun thing, I always look forward to who’s it going to be at the beginning of each month,” Christie stated. “I’m excited to see who gets it next!”