• May 11Check out the CFHS Tiger Times on Apple News!

Filed under Feature

Biggest Moments of 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Biggest Moments of 2018

2018 was marked by hundreds of milestones causing a great impact on teachers and students at CFHS.

“There were a number of big events or stories that gained a lot of attention including a royal wedding, the midterm elections, the Parkland School shooting, the Brett Kavanaugh Supreme Court nomination, a couple hurricanes, the Megamillions jackpot, and the World Cup,” said Mr. McKenna, government and world history teacher.

With McKenna’s government class focusing mainly on current events, he could easily think of many different events that happened throughout the year that changed the future.

Along with this, he found that there were important occurrences that have not only impacted him but the world as well.

“For me, the Kavanaugh confirmation could have a significant impact on all of us, but it is too early to tell,” he said.

Overall, politics play a great role in what affected McKenna’s life and hopes that things will roll out with time.

In addition, McKenna dove into what he hopes for in the new year regarding what happened at Parkland in 2018.

“I hope the Parkland shooting gets more young people involved in our political process, especially since I am a government teacher,” he said.

Overall, McKenna is optimistic that the new year could bring more Gen Z-ers and millennials into politics, causing some change for 2019.

Like Mr. McKenna, senior Allison Pilotti had many hopes for the new year as well.

“I got into my number one school, Belmont University. I’m super psyched, but I know that it is life-changing to know that I will be living in Nashville for the next four years of my life, so I think that will go well,” she said.

For Pilotti, she believes that she will have a great time living in the South, which isn’t anything that she has ever experienced before.

Along with this, Pilotti learned many things from the past year that changed her perspective on life.

“I’ve learned to never sell myself short and take risks. I also think that I’ve learned not to bring myself down so much, for I know I’m capable of anything I set my mind to,” she said.

Overall, Pilotti felt that her growth mentally from 2018 is a huge accomplishment.

Along with Pilotti, junior Sophee Newbauer felt that she was proud of her own accomplishment in the past year.

“I know now that staying determined and never giving up really pays off. I have also gained a ton of confidence from working so hard. I feel like when you do something to your best ability, people can really see how much you’ve grown as well,” she said.

To sum, Newbauer felt that her determination in 2018 made her the person that she is proud of being today.

On the whole, 2018 brought some memorable moments for everyone whether that was growing from one’s own experience or world events that occurred.

“I am excited for 2019, but 2018 will always be one of the greatest and biggest years of my life,” Newbauer said.