• May 11Check out the CFHS Tiger Times on Apple News!

Filed under School, Sports

Tigers’ XC races their way to States

Chagrin Falls cross country runners are heading to states after an impressive performance at regionals.

In the district race in Boardman on Saturday, October 27, the Lady Tigers placed sixth, earning them a bid in states. Meanwhile, senior Marshall Sadowski led the boys’ team to an eighth-place finish, falling just short of a bid to states. Nonetheless, Sadowski earned himself an individual berth in the state championship meet with a twenty-third place finish.

“It’s an amazing feeling to make it to the state meet. Especially seeing all of the hard work I put in over the past year pay off. I give tons of credit to my teammates, coaches and supporters for helping me accomplish this feat. They mean everything to me and I couldn’t have done it without them,” beamed Sadowski.

The Lady Tigers were led by junior Hannah Clark, with a twenty-fourth place finish, earning herself a spot in the state championship race. The girl’s team overcame adversity, as lead runner, senior Catherine Coffey, who recently won CVC MVP, fell ill and could not run in the regional meet. Still, the Lady Tigers rallied together and are now headed to states.

“This cross country season has been a true testament to the idea that running is a team sport. Without the efforts of the team, states would not have been possible. I’m so proud of the team and all of our accomplishments,” said Coffey.

The cross country team truly exemplifies what a team means. Despite only fourteen varsity runners, and only eight running in states, the majority of the team continues to practice to help out the varsity runners in any way they can.

“the non-varsity runners on the team provide the greatest inspiration from the standpoint of positive attitude, accomplishing goals, and keeping it fun! I am truly blessed to be a part of this team,” explained Coffey.

As for the varsity runners that will not run in states, they continue their dedication as they help train teammates for the state championship meet.

“Most of these runners have been working every day since June and I am really proud to see that all their hard work has paid off. We’re all doing everything we can to help out so that they can continue their success in states,” said senior Duncan Taber.

Sadowski, Clark, and the rest of the team hope to continue the great success Chagrin cross country has experienced in recent history this Saturday, November 3. The competition, of course, remains stiff, but the Tigers are staying confident and appreciating the experience.

“I mean there’s not much else you can do but run your hardest. Making it to states itself is such a huge accomplishment itself, I’m just excited to go out there and run,” said Sadowski.

Image of senior Catherine Coffey courtesy of senior photojournalist Niah Johnson