• May 11Check out the CFHS Tiger Times on Apple News!

Chagrin Falls Students Attend First Annual Illuminate Chagrin Documentary Film Trip

Nicholas McLaughlin

This October, Chagrin Falls students and staff will venture to Chagrin Cinemas for the first annual Illuminate Chagrin Documentary Film Festival.

This event will be held Friday, October 5, during school. This year video production teacher Mrs. Kanzinger helped coordinate the event and pick some of the videos.

“This trip will be a full day for students to be immersed in some really good models of documentaries. Many of them are approximately the length that students will create,” she stated.

During this film trip, students will have the chance to meet and talk with the producers, film subjects and directors of some of the films.

“Students will have a wonderful opportunity to do a Q & A with any collaborators on a film and depending on the personalities that come and what time they arrive and depart, they may be around during lunch. Those might be times for students to ask additional questions or even get pictures with them,” explained Mrs. Kanzinger.

The film trip will take place at the Chagrin Cinemas and have anywhere from 225 to 300 people from multiple schools in attendance.

Senior Sean Cusack, will attend for Ms. Anderson’s AP Environmental Science class.

“It will be cool to see what the film festival is like and I really want to see ‘School of Honk’; however, I think we are going mainly to see ‘Drowning in Sand’ by Lucy Provan,” Cusack said.

The documentary film trip has many offerings, from brass bands playing for fun to current social issues hounding people in tough situations, the trip will allow students to get firsthand experience from the people responsible for these films.

“I think there are really fun short films that people will continue to talk about; however, on a more serious note students will also get insight with certain films on social issues that are facing the world today,” Kanzinger said.

The two co-chairs of the film trip have been watching and deciding on films since early 2018. Together, they selected a total of nine videos based off of subject matter and relatability to students.

“My co-chair of this film trip is Dee Dee Pearce, a retired social studies teacher from California, and she and I have been planning this event since earlier this year,” Kanzinger stated.

Wells Fargo Associates have also put a lot of time and manpower into setting up the theater and time for this event. Mrs. Kanzinger is looking forward to success on the first annual Illuminate film trip and hopes it will continue for years to come.

“We will get to expand our boundaries by looking at the films, learning more about the world around us and going outside ‘the bubble’ of Chagrin Falls,” said Cusack.