• May 11Check out the CFHS Tiger Times on Apple News!

Filed under Metro, Sports

Weekend Sports Update

Back to Article
Back to Article

Weekend Sports Update

It can be hard to keep up with all the sports games and news that happen over a busy weekend, until now. Catch up on all Chagrin and Cleveland sports from over the weekend with this weekend sports update.

Friday

Chagrin Falls Football 29, Orange Lions 21

The Tigers traveled to Orange to take on the undefeated Lions. After letting up a touchdown on the Lions’ first drive, Chagrin countered as sophomore Xavier Perez took senior Sean Cusack’s swing pass 49 yards to the endzone. After a booming punt by junior Lucas Gaizutis, the Tigers capitalized with a safety.

“Our punt team really grinded out there and it ended up being a major factor in the game,” said junior Paul Fierman.

In the second quarter, Mick Lawrence juked a Lions’ defender in route to his first touchdown of the day. Junior Will O’Brien stopped the orange charge late in the half with an interception. In the second half, sophomore quarterback Dawson Pierce displayed some tough running as he scored a short touchdown to extend the Tigers’ lead.

Finally, Lawrence extended the lead to 16 as he edged Orange defenders on a 4-yard rushing touchdown. Despite a late touchdown by the lions, the Tigers held on to complete the upset and earn their first win of the year.   

Chagrin XC @ Gilmour Invitational

The boys and girls cross country team ventured up to Gilmour for the Gilmour invitational. In a meet with many schools racing, the girls team took home a trophy with a second place finish. They rode strong performances from seniors Catherine Coffey and Kat Lechman and junior Hannah Clark as all three finished in the top 15. Coffey lead all chagrin girls with a 7th place time.

“The girls did really well and got a trophy, which was nice because then we got to take pictures with their trophy after,” said senior teammate Drew Daugherty.

Senior, Duncan Taber kept the pace for the boys team as he medaled with his 14th place finish. The Tigers look to build momentum from this great invitational as they look ahead to the state tournament.

Saturday

Chagrin Falls Girls Soccer 4,  Southeast Pirates 0

The girls’ soccer team routed the Southeast Pirates at Harris Stadium this Saturday. A very strong defensive effort held a gritty pirates team scoreless. Chagrin maintained possession for the majority of the game which allowed them to explode for four goals.

Freshman striker, Peyton Gellin, lead the way for the Tigers, picking up a first half goal to get things rolling for the Tigers. Later in the first half, junior striker Molly Nachtway took senior Julia Crandall’s pass and fired a deep shot over the keeper’s head for the second goal of the game.

The Tigers did not let up despite a 2-0 halftime lead. Gellin netted two more goals in the second half as she picked up a hatrick for the game. The girls rallied around the support of many fans as this was CAA soccer night at Harris Stadium.   

“I’m really glad we played so well in front of our biggest crowd of the year, and I hope we inspired some future soccer players,” said Crandall.

Ohio State Buckeyes 27, Penn State Nittany Lions 26

In their biggest game of the year, the Ohio State Buckeyes escaped Happy Valley, PA with a big win.

Penn State sprinted out to a 13-0 lead in the second quarter after a quick slant turned into a 93-yard touchdown for the Nittany Lions. However, sophomore running back J.K. Dobbins lit a spark for OSU as he scored back to back touchdowns to claim an Ohio State lead early in the third quarter.

Penn State stormed back, unfazed, after a strong defensive effort lead to two more touchdowns to reclaim the lead. The Nittany Lions in large part were carried by quarterback Trace McSorley’s running game as he set a career high with 175 rushing yards.

Still, the Buckeyes refused to give up after a jaw-dropping touchdown catch by Binjamen Victor brought the Buckeyes within one score.

With under 4 minutes to go the buckeyes sat on their own four yard-line down by six. Sophomore quarterback, Dwayne Haskins orchestrated a clinical 96-yard touchdown drive to put the Buckeyes up by one with just two minutes remaining.

Finally, a game saving tackle by defensive end Chase Young on fourth and five sealed the game for Ohio State.

Ohio State looks to capitalize off this win as they take on the Indiana Hoosiers next week.

Sunday

Cleveland Browns 42, Oakland Raiders 45 (OT)

In Baker Mayfield’s first start, the Browns lost an overtime shootout to the Oakland Raiders.

Despite 487 total yards by the offense, the Browns surrendered 565 yards to the Raiders, including a 50-yard drive in the last two minutes allowing Oakland to force overtime.

The browns were lead by running backs Nick Chubb and Carlos Hyde who combined for over 180 rushing yards and three touchdowns. Despite two touchdown strikes in his first start, Mayfield accounted for four costly turnovers which ultimately decided the game.

In overtime, the browns defense stopped the Raider’s offense, but a quick punt by the Browns gave the ball back to Oakland.

Oakland then capitalized off the legs of Marshawn Lynch and kicked a dame-winning field goal in overtime.

Oakland earned their first win of the year, while the Browns drop to 1-2-1. The Browns look to beat the Ravens at home next Sunday.   

Photo courtesy of junior photojournalist Paige Hammond