Filed under Entertainment

Origins of Valentine’s day

With the most romantic holiday in Valentine’s day quickly approaching, it’s the time for people to start asking, how did Valentine’s day even start?

Several students of CFHS were asked about Valentines day to explore if anyone actually does know the origins of the fabled day.

Senior Katie Sanford had little to no words in regards to the origins of Valentine’s day.

“I honestly have no clue, but I love the holiday regardless,” said Sanford.

Sanford wasn’t the only one who was unaware of the true origin of Valentine’s day, senior Ben Winovich also was almost completely oblivious as to how the holiday started.

“I don’t know, I think it has something to do with cupid and a bow and arrow,” said Winovich.

Clearly there should be a history lesson on the holidays considering CFHS students don’t know much about Valentine’s day. There are many different legends regarding Valentine’s day but the most prominent of these regards a Roman festival of Lupercalia. It’s a fertility celebration commemorated annually in the middle of February, Pope Gelasius I renamed the festival as St. Valentine day. Legends has it, St. Valentine used to secretly perform marriage ceremonies but he eventually was sentenced to death by the Romans when he was caught.

Even though not many people know how the holiday was started, February 14th is still a day that everyone looks forward to.

When asked about their favorite part of Valentine’s day, several students had a thing or two to say.

Junior Brig “Big-Rig” Lowry, another Valentine’s day enthusiast given his current romance with sophomore Daisy Hall, was very ecstatic when describing his favorite part of Valentine’s day.

“The candy for sure, it tastes really good, my favorite is that sweet sweet taste of chocolate as it melts in my mouth,” said Lowry.

Furthermore, Katie Sanford also loves Valentine’s day.

“It’s difficult to pinpoint one thing about the day I love the most but if I had to choose my favorite part about Valentine’s day, I’d have to say getting valentines cards from friends, it just warms my heart to know that people care about me that much,” said Sanford.

Senior Ben Winovich also had a very specific aspect of Valentine’s day that he enjoyed.

“I honestly love smelling all the flowers that comes with Valentines day, I could sit down for hours with a good book and enjoy the delightful smell of rose petals,” said Winovich.

Sophomore Ted Aerni insisted on enlightening everyone on his favorite part of Valentine’s day.

“My favorite part about the day is all the ladies commenting on my Instagram posts because they all want to be my Valentine,” said Aerni.

It’s clear that everyone loves Valentines day. The legend of St. Valentine should be remembered and cherished for all of eternity, after all, he’s the reason we celebrate the holiday in the first place.

An arrangement of Valentine’s day M&M’s to form a heart.