Filed under Showcase, Sports

Girls Basketball Excites Gurney Students

On Friday January 13, the girls basketball team traveled to Gurney Elementary School to participate in a pep rally. Students from K-3 were extremely excited, as the girls came to promote their upcoming game against Orange.

Teachers could barely contain the students’ excitement as they filed into the gymnasium dressed in all orange and black, bringing their rowdiest attitudes and screaming voices.

Once the students’ attention was gathered, all members of the girls varsity basketball team introduced themselves to the rowdy crowd.
Head Coach Brittany Anderson then gave an inspirational speech regarding their team slogan for the year: “Drive”. She began by asking what the students thought the word meant. Several confident students responded saying, “driving a car”, or “driving to the basket.”
Senior Emily Owen then spoke on behalf of the team, giving their definition of “Drive”, saying, “for us drive means being determined and working hard.”
This speech sparked a lot of excitement among one student, as he raised his hand and asked, “are you going to be on TV?” Sadly, the game was not on TV, however, the students’ spirits were not crushed by this realization.
After Anderson gave an inspirational speech to the students encouraging them to come out to the game the following day, the real event happened. The game of knockout between some lucky students and a few of the teachers was a spectacle of itself.
After several rounds of an intense battle, only two remained. Brian Ritz and third grader Tom Wilkinson were ready for a battle that could last ten days, or 20 short seconds. To the suspense of the whole student body, Wilkinson hit his first shot before Ritz ended the entire game. He was the champion and the students erupted!
Dr. Rachel Jones, Principal of Gurney, was very pleased with the turnout at the assembly, saying, “There was definitely a lot of energy. These kids look up to high school athletes like they’re superheroes.”
All that was left for the students to do was come out to the big game the next day and make their presence felt. The girls went on to win the big game against Orange 49-34.